Turkey Garden Lasagna
Prep time: 90 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ lb. 99% fat-free ground turkey
- 2 c. marinara sauce
- 1 c. diced tomatoes
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 8 oz. small mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. baby spinach
- 6 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 c. low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and the garlic to a medium-sized skillet over medium heat; add the turkey and cook until it's brown.
- To make the meat sauce, add the marinara sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and seasoning to the skillet with the turkey. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the turkey simmers, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a separate skillet and add the zucchini and mushrooms; cook over medium heat until they're soft.
- Add spinach to the zucchini and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted.
- To assemble the lasagna:
° spread a small scoop of meat sauce to cover bottom of pan
° lay 2 noodles over meat sauce
° add some mozzarella cheese
° add a layer of meat sauce
° add a layer of vegetable mixture
- Repeat step 7 two more times, ending with meat sauce and cheese as the top layer.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
Serving size: 1/6 of the dish
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Vitamin B6 helps form a baby's red blood cells; breaks down protein, fat, and carbohydrates; and is needed for normal brain development and function. Good sources of vitamin B6 include poultry, fish, whole grains, fortified cereals, and bananas.