Alfredo Pesto Pasta
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to help meet their nutritional needs.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces fettucine, cooked
- Finely chop basil, walnuts, and garlic in food processor.
- Gradually add olive oil while machine is running and process until smooth.
- Mix in ¼ cup of the cheese.
- Transfer the pesto to a small jar. (Pesto can be prepared 3 days in advance. Pour enough olive oil over sauce to cover. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Bring cream to slight boil in medium saucepan. Be careful not to burn the cream.
- Once cream begins to boil, whisk in pesto. Season sauce with remaining ¼ cup cheese in large bowl.
- Toss to coat pasta evenly and serve.
Serving size: 1½ cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
29 g protein
64 g fat
414 mg sodium
371 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider adding chicken or shrimp to this dish to increase protein intake.