Note: This recipe is especially for kids on a gluten-free diet, who must avoid foods that contain gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This gluten-free dish is a great source of iron and protein. The longer you marinate the steak, the better it tastes.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1¼-pound lean flank steak, fat trimmed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger root, chopped
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free soy sauce, light
- ½ cup onions, chopped and divided
- 3 cups watercress, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- ¼ cup water
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place flank steak in a shallow glass dish.
- Combine garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper (optional), and ¼ cup onions in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour half the marinade over the steak. Turn steak to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Store the remaining marinade in the refrigerator.
- Grill the steak on each side for 5 to 7 minutes for medium rare (145°F on a meat thermometer).
- Place remaining marinade into a small saucepan and add ¼ cup water.
- Simmer over low heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss watercress, remaining onions, and carrots with warm marinade.
- Slice steak into thin strips and serve steak slices on salad.
Serving size: approximately 3.5 oz. steak and 1/5 of salad
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
26 g protein
10 g fat
4 g sat. fat
6 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
67 mg cholesterol
315 mg sodium
46 mg calcium
2.1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don't have watercress, try fresh spinach. Serve with rice.