5-Minute Rice and Beans
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 c. brown "minute" rice
- 2½ c. canned black beans
- ½ of an avocado, diced
- 2 c. chopped bell pepper
- 4 tbs. chunky salsa
- 1 c. shredded romaine lettuce
- Cook the rice according the package directions.
- Drain and rinse the canned black beans. Be sure not to skip this step; draining and rinsing canned beans can decrease their sodium content by 40%.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the cooked rice, beans, and salsa. Microwave for about 2 minutes or until warmed throughout.
- Stir in the avocado and bell pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 4 servings; place a scoop on top of shredded romaine lettuce and serve.
Serving Size: About 1½ cups
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Fiber is a nutrient that can help ease the constipation commonly associated with pregnancy. Whole grains — like whole-wheat bread, whole-grain cereals, and brown rice — and fruits, vegetables, and legumes (beans, split peas, and lentils) are good sources of fiber.
Vitamin C plays an important role in tissue growth and repair and bone and tooth development. Vitamin C also helps the body absorb iron. Good sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, broccoli, tomatoes, and fortified fruit juices.