Prep time: 50 minutes
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb. fresh carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 40 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- Heat canola oil over medium heat in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and ginger and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender and easily pierced by a fork.
- Carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a blender. Thoroughly blend the mixture. (If you have an immersion blender, you can blend the soup in the saucepan.)
- Return soup to the pot to warm, then serve.
Serving size: 1¼ cup of soup
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Vitamin A helps develop a baby's heart, eyes, and immune system. Good sources of vitamin A include milk, orange fruits and vegetables (such as cantaloupe, carrots, and sweet potatoes), and dark leafy greens. Prenatal vitamins should not contain more than 1,500 micrograms (5,000 IU) of vitamin A and pregnant women should not take vitamin A supplements. Both too little and too much vitamin A can harm a developing fetus.