Black Bean Burrito
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 c. cooked brown rice (quick-cook rice)
- 1 c. canned black beans
- 4 tbsp. chunky salsa
- ¼ c. chopped fresh tomato
- 2 tbsp. diced avocado
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 c. romaine lettuce
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Be sure not to skip this step; draining and rinsing canned beans can reduce their sodium content by 40%.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salsa, tomatoes, and avocado.
- Top each tortilla evenly with the cooked rice, black beans, and salsa mixture; then microwave for 30-40 seconds each.
- To serve, top each tortilla with lettuce and roll into a burrito.
Serving size: 1 burrito
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Healthy fats (unsaturated fats) are used to fuel a baby's growth and development. They are especially important for the development of the brain and nervous system. Healthy fats are found in olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, avocados, and salmon. While fat is necessary in any healthy diet, it's important to limit fat intake to 30% or less of your daily calorie intake.